Assistant Director – Education Strategy, Access and Inclusion – Lambeth
Website London Borough of Lambeth
Salary: Scale SMG2 – starting salary £72572 per annum, rising in annual increments to £ 87214 per annum
Position type: Full-time
To start: As soon as possible
For further details: Please contact Cathy Twist – Director (Education and Learning) – by telephone on 020 7926 9541 or email
To apply: Please submit an application through the Lambeth Council website
Applications close: midnight, Sunday 4th October
Assessments and Interviews: to be advised
This is a key post in Lambeth Council’s drive for continuous improvement for all Lambeth children and young people.
We are looking for a skilled professional with a background in senior management in school or education authority, preferably at headship level. This senior leadership role will work closely with another Assistant Director in the Education and Learning division as well as more widely with lead officers across Children’s Services and the Council.
The role leads on ensuring access and inclusion for all our learners including school admissions, SEND and inclusion. The post holder must demonstrate a deep commitment to equality of opportunity for children and young people, knowledge of the barriers some children face to achievement and how these may be overcome; they must have knowledge of the legislation and needs of SEND children and young people and an excellent understanding of school improvement and schools management.
The role has a particular focus on ensuring sufficiency, but not over-sufficiency, of pupil places in a fast changing inner city environment which is coping with post-Brexit demographic changes amongst others. The position requires someone who can lead the pupil place planning process taking into account demographic and population changes and understand the resultant capital development that is needed but at the same time maintain stability of school leadership and confidence of residents in the school estate.
What we need from the post holder in the next twelve months
- Following a review of school place provision the post holder will lead on strategy development with stakeholders and partners as well as other London Boroughs and the Regional Schools Commissioner – from consultation to enactment of change.
- Following Lambeth’s positive SEND inspection in January 2020: to oversee the development and implementation of an integrated SEND and Inclusion Policy and action plan that leads to even better outcomes for SEND children and young people and further reduction in exclusions.
At this senior level, you will need
- a proven track record of successful leadership in a school or Local Authority setting
- an excellent understanding of the context in which schools work and strategies to improve performance
- existing accreditation as an Ofsted Inspector or willingness to train
- an understanding of the role of elected members
- excellent communication skills
- lead and inspire and make a difference
- join a positive, enthusiastic and committed team with the opportunity to lead on key projects
- play a part in the continuing development of a fast improving council
- enhance your career through excellent training and professional development
We can offer you the opportunity to
Successful candidates will be asked to apply for an Enhanced Disclosure from the DBS.
To apply for this job you'll need to download and fill in the relevant supplied documents, (the links are above) which you will then need to upload using our online application system by clicking the 'Apply for Job' button below.
Lambeth Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff, volunteers and external agencies to share this commitment.http://www.lambeth.gov.uk
Lambeth aims for quality services and equal opportunities for all.